Thursday, February 11, 2010

Losing McQueen



Well, it turns out I have the worlds worst timing for starting a "fashion blog". Because just 1 day after I began it, the world has suffered a massive fashion loss.

I recall my first time seeing anything "McQueen" was many years ago while shopping on 5th Avenue with my mother. We went into Henri Bendel (This was back when Bendel sold shoes...because I dont believe they still carry shoes in their store), and went up to the top level. It wasnt a shoe department, it was more like a shoe corner. And this one pair stood out to me-placed in the center of a circular white table with a Shabby Chic vibe. And the thing that stood out to me so much about this shoe was the shape, it was unlike any shoe I had ever seen. I'm not even sure how to describe it.
When I got home from our adventure on 5th avenue, I took it upon myself to google "Alexander McQueen" (This was back in the early days of googling).

Ever since that day, I have been captivated by each one of his runway shows.
To call him one of my "favorite designers" isnt fair. Because I honestly never grouped him among my "favorites". I never felt that his artistic creations belonged in a category. He was more like an icon. A leader in the fashion world...a world full of followers. He was innovative with his creations, and remarkably kept himself and his private life underexposed. I never got that MARC JACOBS and KARL LAGERFELD vibe from him. He was more reserved in his public behavior, usually walking out at the end of his shows in something either terribly funny and creative, or something totaly laid back and casual.

I cant fathom what would have made him do what he did today [ending his own life], but I can say that the world of fashion, art, and creativity has been changed because he existed in it. He was always outside the box, broke the mold, dared to do something new. Just look at his S/S 2010 line, the "Lobster Claw Shoes", no one had ever seen anything remotely like it.

Every show he ever did was like looking at an evolving painting, just when you think you've seen all there is to see, it shows you something wild and different. McQueen was an artistic genius, theres really no other way to put it. And the imprint he has left behind on the fashion world will never be filled...but hopefully it can be learned from. In a world of shapes, cuts, colors and fabrics...he cornered a market all his own, and for that reason...he will always live on...in all of his beautiful designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment