Sunday, October 17, 2010

Things I'd like to forget

Lots of people have a strong connection between scent and memory, I however, have a strong connection between songs and memory. Sometimes it can be a good thing, suddenly being put right back where I was at the exact moment I hard that song 10 years ago. But most of the time its a curse. Nothing is worse than being out somewhere enjoying yourself, and suddenly, without warning...a song comes on that reminds you of a place, a time, a person...that you have no interest in thinking of.

In the past 24-48 hours, I have experienced this several times. So to pay homage to my former ghosts, here is a list of songs that have a negative connotation in my mind.

1. Bed of Roses by Bon Jovi
2. Anything from John Mayers first two albums, including random live recordings early in his career
3. Hallelujah by Jeff Buckley
4. Anything by The Tragically Hip
5. Loser by Three Doors Down
6. Waste by Phish
7. Kiss Me by Sixpence None the Richer
And many more!
Ha, of course most of the issues I have with my music memories are rooted in the men I have dated/hooked up with in my past. But nothing kills a mood like being with the person you're currently dating, having a great night out...and BAM! one of those songs comes on. This is not to say I don't have some amazing memories connected to music. I've got great memories of Dave Matthews Band from Highschool, Billy Joel from my childhood, Ludacris from college. Its just funny, because all of the songs that connect me to good memories from my past all have nothing to do with the men of my past, in fact-they all remind me of the good times I've had with girlfriends and family.
There's also plenty of songs that I have great memories of things my current boyfriend and I have done...I just hope that one day I dont have to block those from my mind as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment